Sunday, September 30, 2012

Hangouts + Shopping + Burgers + Food = Insomnia



In this dead hour of the night when all sane people should be asleep, but mad scientists like me are still awake -- brains too overstimulated by the unsolved mysteries of the universe, the injustices of human society, and the fact that 'The Hobbit' movie will be released later next month -- allow me to introduce you to a burger joint most marvelous.


No, seriously.
If I cannot get to sleep at night because I have to blog about a burger place, let me tell you: it has fantastic burgers.

Just look at that wonderful creation. Mmm-mmmm.


Nevermind the buns look like they expired five years ago -- that's charcoal bread, you doofus, they're healthier than those bleached, sesame-seed things they serve you at McD, and you're probably too mainstream to have heard of it yet. /hipster-eyeroll

Let's flashback to earlier this afternoon, where it all began.
True to our undeniable nature of being hipsters and shopaholics, Alyaa and I spent the afternoon at Jaya One for the Markets arts and fashion bazaar, where vintage threads, Oxford shoes, and all things galaxy-print were on sale.


I ended up buying a really cute floral-print blouse and a secondhand striped long-sleeve sweater, all for RM 35 (notbad.jpg). New threads to wear to the office, yay~

The clothes, shoes and accessories were pretty to look at, but were mostly been-there-done-that, like most of these hipster bazaars that Alyaa and I always find ourselves at most weekends ... Galaxy-print really isn't my thing, all the vintage wear ranked from thrift-store-reject to Bangsar-party-girl, I wasn't carrying enough cash for Oxford shoes, and I'm not really an accessories kind of person like Alyaa is.

But something at the Markets caught my eye this time.
THE FOOD.
Oh, the glorious food.





Little did I know that Food Bites was happening at the same time as Markets, and it was a glorious, delicious, wonderful surprise, like discovering your chocolate chip cookie had extra marshmallow bits baked-in. O__O

There was just ... SO MUCH wonderful, creatively-packaged, cleverly-named foods all lying around on wooden trays and glistening under shiny glass domes, begging to be tasted and tried. Foods from all over the world: fish tacos, Texas-style chili burgers, lemon cream puffs, ultra fudge brownies, pies of every variety ... I'm drooling just listing them all here. *A*

Alyaa and I ended up sharing a 'Christmas Kinda' burger from Yay, Sammich! which came with a side of crisps for RM 15, washed down with RM 5 lemonade from the taco stall. A bit pricey, but hey, you get what you paid for!

Alyaa ended up tapau-ing about three different pies and fudge brownies, and both of us took home a delicious lemon meringue cupcake sold to us by a very persuasive Australian chef who was very generous with his product-sampling. Because he knew -- he just knew, with that distinct Aussie sixth-sense that takes years of lying underneath the outback sun to develop -- that anyone who tries his cupcakes will end up buying one because the are just that delicious.

Or maybe he was really confident in his baking skills. :/ [insert Masterchef reference here]

But I'm getting off-track.
I'm here to tell you about That Burger Place.

You know that episode of 'How I Met Your Mother' where Ted and gang search all of New York to find Marshall's mystery burger place with the green door, where he claims he found The Perfect Burger?

This is it. This is the place.
Except, you know, in PJ Seapark instead of New York. And with a glass door instead of a green one.
But with exactly the same Heavenly Burgers that will kill you, send you to heaven, then revive you again to take another bite. These are burgers to end all burgers.

I should probably stop here to tell you that I should really, really thank my dear friend Mintos for introducing me to this place. Like I scumbag I am, I spent paragraphs and paragraphs describing burgers and shopping and food while neglecting to mention that today is Mintos' birthday, and she is a wonderful person and I'm glad to have her as a friend.

Happy birthday, Mintos darling!! ^^<3
She posted an open invite on Facebook, inviting friends to join her at My Burger Lab (that's the place!!) for dinner. Being so close to Jaya One, Alyaa and I were like hey let's go, and ended up speeding our way to Seapark for dinner.

As soon as we entered the place, we knew this was a great place because the line went up all the way to the door. There was also one of those red digital counters above the register (like they have at super-popular bubble-tea places) where customers have to take a number ... because there are just that many people in line. O__O

We greeted Mintos, Alex, Sally and Elan at their table, and gave the birthday girl her gift before we swiftly got in line.

The menu was amazing to behold. JUST LOOK AT THAT SELECTION.

I mean, hash browns and Portobello mushrooms in a burger?! SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY.

Because they knew people would be overwhelmed by all the shining splendor and be at loss on what to choose, My Burger Lab took precautions: When we got closer to the counter, one of the waitstaff -- a petite girl with an awesome button badge that read, "I Work With a Bunch of Freaks" -- was there to help explain the menu, and help us make a burger-choice. Excellent customer service!

I ended up deciding on 'A++' (that's the 'A+' burger with extras!) in an RM 22 set with a side of fries and refillable soft drink, and Alyaa ended up with 'Beautiful Mess' for RM 24 set.


It was one of the most glorious meals I've had in ages. The fries were tossed in garlic and herbs, and were served with a tangy, custom spicy sauce. I don't know why, but the herbs smelt nostalgically of the dried mixed herbs I used back when I was studying in Brisbane. Did they use the same brand? :P

Also, as I made my way to the counter to pack up leftover burgers and fries, I spotted these gems:



And I knew, I just knew -- like in matters of friendships that last ages with people you just 'click' with -- we had found our new hangout place. =w=

No comments:

Post a Comment