Friday, March 15, 2013

... when the cover is better than the original

So I was just bumming around the Internet, when my good friend Raz (fellow Lindsey Stirling and Imagine Dragons fan) passed me a link to this video:



Lindsey Sterling & Pentatonix: Radiotactive
Original singer: Imagine Dragons

My immediate reaction was ... oh my, this is gorgeous. O__O I mean the original song and video by Imagine Dragons (who are steadily becoming one of my fave bands) are already amazing -- but if you throw in some incredibly talented and creative people to rework it, you'll get a masterpiece. :D

Literally everything in this video and song is brilliant -- the set and wardrobe is this Post-Apocalyptic Steampunk-ish atmosphere which could easily be from some pop-culture cult movie -- couple that with clever musical arrangements and vocals, and it's just perfectionnn. ^^

So it got me thinking ... over all my years lurking around on YouTube, I've heard a lot of songs out there by upstart young musicians who've covered stuff from major record-label artists, and done a just as good (or even better!) job. :)

And then my next thought was: The world must know about them!
So here they are, a couple of songs from a couple of wonderful, refreshing talents that have stuck with me:


Sam Tsui & Christina Grimmie: Just a Dream
Original singer: Nelly
This song is so good, it could have covers of it's own! :P Definitely more beautiful and haunting than the original, sounding better as a duet between fresh-voiced vocalists:




Walk of the Earth: Payphone
Original singer: Maroon 5
So Walk of the Earth are freaking geniuses, fullstop. Everything they do is pure gold, but this was the song that introduced me to them in the first place, and ... it's just awesomely shot. It looks like it was done in a single take, leaving no room for errors, but they pulled it off wonderfully.




Hannah Trigwell: Lego House
Original singer: Ed Sheeran
I already love Ed Sheeran's version, so it's only natural I'll like any cover -- but Hannah has such a sweet, tender quality to her voice that's hard not to love, especially when accompanied acoustically. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment