Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Movie Review: "The Croods"

Light night, I caught a preview screening of 'The Croods' with my siblings.


I went into the cinema not expecting much: I knew it was a Dreamworks film, and that Yuna was doing a duet with Owl City for the official movie theme (side note: Way to go for making an international name for local music scene, Yuna! :D).


I totally didn't expect a genuinely entertaining, intelligent, legit-funny and well-written film. :D
WARNING: Movie review and spoilers below~

I knew Dreamworks made good films, story-wise: 'How to Train Your Dragon' is a classic, but then last year's 'Rise of the Guardians', while good on its own, didn't exactly reach my expectations. :\

So I went into the cinema thinking this was going to be another sub-par animated movie -- along the lines of the fairly disappointing Shrek and Ice-Age sequels -- and only agreed to go out and watch along because it's been a long time since I last went out with my siblings for a movie.

And I did not regret it one bit. :D
I hadn't laughed so hard for a movie in a long time, and the humour in this movie is not just pure slapstick, but honest, intelligent, well-written humour that is so quotable!

The plot is endearing, and even though it's slightly more 'fantastic' (with all the crazy animals that looked like they walked straight out of Spore), it was more or less historically accurate, and believable  :) And with a simple storyline, it was pretty easy to follow and didn't feel awkward or forced at all. ^^

All the little details and touches -- Guy's story about the thousand suns turning out to be metaphor for a starry night (the stars are suns!); and the caveman-versions of all modern inventions (Polaroid photography, ftw~! XD) -- just added to the charm of the movie. :)

And of course an animated family film isn't complete without a few moral values -- I guess the takeaway message of this one is: "Don't be afraid to try new things and have ideas; go out and explore the world and learn," as well as the age-old, "One of the most important things in life is family~" :D

Favourite moments:
1) Feeding the 'sun babies': "EAT, BABIES!"
2) First thing in the morning, after waking up: "We're alive!"
3) "Hug, rhymes with Grug."
and of course ...
4) "Dun dun DUUUUUN~!"

All-in-all, a very enjoyable family film with a satisfyingly solid plot and good humour. I'm glad Dreamworks is still bringing awesome stuff to the table, and I'm so looking forward to their next release, 'Turbo', later this year, and 'How to Train Your Dragon 2' next year. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment