Saturday, November 10, 2012

In Which Also Involves Potatoes And Beef


Almost as a continuation of our previous Epic Adventure Mealtime episode (where we boldly attempted croquettes), Kids, Sky and I this time joined forces to cook a dinner that involves potatoes, onions and more potatoes. :D

After many hours of surfing Pinterest, I decided our next culinary experiment would be: Potato Gratin~!



Ingredients:
  • 4 russet potatoes, sliced into 1/4 inch slices
  • 1 onion, sliced into rings
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese



How-to:

  • Step 1: Slice potatoes into slices.
  • Step 2: Cut onions into rings.
  • Step 3: Line baking pan with butter.
  • Step 4: Arrange potatoes and onion slices in baking dish. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  • Step 5: Melt butter in a saucepan.
  • Step 6: Add all-purpose flour.
  • Step 7: Add milk. Mix butter, flour and milk batter until thick and creamy.
  • Step 8: Pour batter over potatoes.
  • Step 9: Scatter shredded cheese and breadcrumbs over the mixture.
  • Step 10: Cover the baking pan with tin foil.
  • Step 11: Bake for approx 1 hour.
  • Step 12: Dig in~! :D



Notes:
Photography by Kids
Editing by me

Many thanks to Sky for lending her kitchen~! Yes, we successfully managed to not set anything on fire~ :D

Huge sorry to Sky & Kids for making you guys wait so long for dinner ... cooking time took longer than I thought, so we ended up waiting for more than an hour for the gratin to be ready. ^^;;

And since it was my first attempt, I added too little salt so the gratin ended up a bit bland ... orz So I guess my Masterchef debut won't be anytime soon~ :3 *gets pushed off a cliff*

Also, to accompany the gratin as part of the dinner, I contributed my favourite Japanese-style hamburgers (plus salad)~ :D

They're one of my favourite dishes to make, and kept me fed and alive while I was solo-ing during my studies in Brisbane ... *w*

Burgers and salad progress pics~
 
ハンバーガできた!(≧▽≦) 




No comments:

Post a Comment